Thursday, April 21, 2011

Criminal Justice

Ever since I was a kid I’ve loved the wail of sirens and the flashing of red and blue lights as a police cruiser speeds down the highway. When I was thirteen I got to go on a patrol with a police officer, Sgt. Lane. I got to see that officer in action and how he treated people with respect and used his authority to help people. I watched Sgt. Lane arrest a man for driving without a license and we had to take him to the Fairborn jail. I loved riding in the squad car and from that moment, I have wanted to become a police officer.
I enjoy helping people and I have good social skills. I don’t like sitting at a desk all day and I want a job that allows me to get out on the streets and physically do work. I am good at talking to people and diffusing tension between people. I volunteer for middle school youth group at my church and most of the kids I deal with come from broken and dysfunctional homes. I think it is vital to know what kind of situation the people you deal with come from, and I have found that even though the kids are sometimes disrespectful, they are really good kids at heart. I want to use my experience as a youth leader when I become a police officer.
When I graduate from Wright State I would like to stay in the Dayton area. My family lives here and I have come to know this area really well and I understand the mindset of the people who live here. I want to stay close to my family and I really enjoy living in Ohio. Some people think Ohio is boring, but I love it!  

1 comment:

  1. I don't think Ohio is all that bad either! I like it here. I would love to travel all over some day but Ohio is home!

    ReplyDelete